Welcome to the Perk

Welcome to the Perk
Perkins Stadium

Friday, December 11, 2015

Despite my cancer, I just wanted to become emotionally invested in my Warhawks this week



                          



As many of you know, I am in my 452nd day since being diagnosed with inoperable and incurable stage IV colorectal cancer with liver metastases. The disease has resulted in chronic fatigue and has drastically cut back on my promotion of UW-Whitewater football.

How much do I love the Warhawks? I have a book that is scheduled to be published next summer. The title of the forthcoming book is: Battling cancer through family, friends and Warhawk football: One day at a time.

I love writing about Warhawk football. It is my passion. I started the Website warhawkfootball.com at the start of the Hawks’ 2003 season. My disease forced me to step away from publishing the site two summers ago. 

Warhawkfootball.com is now in the very capable hands of Jay Perkins, the son of Forrest Perkins, the iconic former Warhawk head coach who passed away in December, 2014.

I am sad that I am unable to physically withstand the trip to Mount Union this week.  I desperately wanted to do what I’ve done for the past 29 years – to publicly promote the UW-Whitewater football program.

For the past two days I’ve been running on adrenaline.

The definition of adrenaline by the Merriam-Webster dictionary is: a substance that is released in the body of a person who is feeling a strong emotion (such as excitement, fear, or anger) and that causes the heart to beat faster and gives the person more energy.

I spent almost 10 hours yesterday writing and publishing photos on Facebook leading up to tomorrow’s showdown of Purple Powers. I intend to stay busy and posting photos for the remainder of the Warhawks drive to make it back to the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl for the 10th time in the past 11 years.

I sincerely hope that my writing this week will add to your excitement as the Warhawks proceed on the Road to Salem.

Will I physically be able to maintain my current pace? I draw my energy through the inspiration from Stuart Scott’s iconic ESPY speech in 2014.

"So live. Live! Fight like hell. And when you get too tired to fight, then lay down and rest and let somebody else fight for you," Stuart said near the end of his speech.


I draw my inspiration from watching Warhawk football, and to have the privilege of becoming friends with the coaches and many of the players over the years.


I’m using all my energy this week by just trying to make a difference through promotion of the Warhawks.

Thank you Stuart Scott for the inspiration you have given me.

A day at a time.

To view Stuart Scott’s ESPY speech click on the following link:
https://youtu.be/Yl_0ieqSi7Q


No comments:

Post a Comment