Welcome to the Perk

Welcome to the Perk
Perkins Stadium

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Note to ESPN College Game Day: Please come to Whitewater this season!


One of my passions during my now 48 week battle vs. inoperable and incurable stage 4 colorectal cancer has been feverishly lobbying ESPN to bring College Game Day to Whitewater one Saturday this coming season.

The idea stemmed from last October's Game Day segment on Lance Leipold reaching 100 wins faster than any coach in NCAA history.

At the end of the segment Game Day's Lee Corso openly wished that the show should come to the UW-Whitewater campus. 

To view segment CLICK HERE

"Before I leave (College) Game Day Whitewater is one place I want to visit," Corso said in the segment. "That would be a great trip wouldn't it?"

That got me thinking that we need to be proactive in lobbying for a Whitewater stop this year for the ESPN Game Day program. I put together a folder of stories, statistics videos, and photos on UW-Whitewater football and its lofty spot in the college football universe.  I sent the "marketing" package to Game Day producer Lee Fitting.

We had several email conversations in regards to my idea. Lee assured me that Whitewater was on the show's "radar."  When the show's production staff met to discuss potential targeted location this season, Whitewater was included in that discussion.

I asked Lee if Whitewater is on the show's tentative 2015 schedule. He told me that ESPN doesn't announce specific locations until 7 to 10 days prior to the coming week's show.

ESPN announced yesterday the it will kick off the season with College Gameday travelling to the Fort Worth Texas Stockyards  for the Sept. 5 Wisconsin-Alabama season opener at nearby AT&T Stadium (AKA JerryWorld).

I was excited when I heard the news, but it made me more apprehensive on whether UW-Whitewater would join its "big brother" on ESPN Game Day later this season.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment