Welcome to the Perk

Welcome to the Perk
Perkins Stadium

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Once a Warhawk, Always a Warhawk

I've been associated with the UW-Whitewater football and men's basketball programs since 1988. While I've had the opportunity to be the Radio Voice of both teams for many of those years, it is the friendships I have developed over the past 26 years that I relish the most.

Still being on first name basis with many of the former players who's games I called on the radio over the years means a lot to me. Many of those players and their parents enthusiastically endorsed my idea of launching my Voice's Eye On Warhawk Football Website last week.

One of my favorite days each month is having lunch in Madison every three weeks with a group of former Warhawk players, coaches, and VIP boosters.  Our location has been at the Avenue Bar. Our luncheon has been off the past couple of months while the Avenue undergoes extensive renovation.

Today, several of us got together for lunch at the 841 Brewhouse in Whitewater. It was the first time I've been at 841 that was the former Randy's Restaurant. It has great atmosphere and great food!

Either as a former player, coach, or Warhawk booster, it is the friendships developed over the years that are so special.

I was fortunate enough to be inducted into the UW-Whitewater Athletic's Hall of Fame several years ago.  I will tell you that to be able to have lunch with the group I did today is humbling.

As I often say - Once a Warhawk, Always a Warhawk

(In the adjacent photo (L to R) Dave Vander Muelen, Tom Pattison, Pike Teipner, Claude Miller, Bob Berezowitz)

No comments:

Post a Comment